The release of the 2021 ESG report demonstrates the company’s commitment and accountability to environmental sustainability, its team members and the communities in which it operates.
“ESG is a priority for Samuel, and we are pleased to present this report as part of our commitment to integrity and transparency in our approach to ESG,” said Colin Osborne, President and CEO at Samuel. “While we recognize that our impact in all areas of ESG is a continual pursuit, this report serves as a marker for future progress and reinforces our commitment to work toward our goals in a transparent manner.”
Among the many ESG initiatives this report covers, key highlights include:
- Reducing the energy intensity of our operations by 4.2% CO2e/unit and 6.1% kWh/unit of production compared to 2020.*
- Recycling over 75,000 tonnes of metal.
- Establishing a sustainability-linked revolving credit facility agreement – one of the first of its kind in the industry. This unique lending arrangement links Samuel’s environmental sustainability initiatives and key performance indicators (KPIs) to its financing terms.
- Achieving Samuel’s safest year on record, with a DART rate of 0.94, placing Samuel in the top tier of safest industrial manufacturing companies in North America.
- Encouraging team members’ career development, as demonstrated by over 500 team members progressing into new roles across the organization.
- Launching Samuel Communities, a team member-led charitable program as part of our overall charitable initiatives. It invites all Samuel team members to nominate a charity to be considered for a monetary contribution from the company.
- Working to enhance its Procurement Terms and Conditions and Supplier Code of Conduct to include expectations regarding labor agreements and environmental practices.
- Logging over 33,000 hours of compliance training hours spanning the areas of Code of Conduct, health and safety, safe operating procedures and cybersecurity.
For more information on Samuel’s ESG initiatives and to access the 2021 ESG Report, visit samuel.com.
*Data based on the 24 sites monitored for the SLL which represents 81% of both the company’s total energy consumption (kWh) and GHG emissions (lbs. CO2e).
Founded in 1855, Samuel, Son & Co., Limited, is a family-owned and operated integrated network of metal manufacturing, processing and distribution divisions. With over 5,500 employees and 80+ facilities, Samuel provides seamless access to metals, industrial products and related value-added services. We leverage our industry expertise, breadth of experience and the passion of our people to help drive success for North American business – one customer at a time. For more information visit www.samuel.com.