CAID Industries, a division of Samuel, Son & Co. is growing! If you're looking for a rewarding career opportunity with a family run, industry leading organization, bring your experience and motivated attitude to Samuel, Son & Co.
Due to our continued success, we are seeking a Design Manager to join our team in Tucson, AZ.
If you think you have what it takes to become part of our team, contact us today.
Here are some of what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Paid vacation and an annual bonus
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(K) Plan with company match
- Opportunity for career growth and stability
As the Design Manager at CAID, you will be responsible for leading and supervising the team of Designers and Detailers as they develop designs and prepare fabrication drawings. You will ensure your team members have the information, tools and training needed to successfully complete projects as assigned.
- Participate in the assessment and assignment of projects to designers and detailers.
- Diligently maintain a collaborative work environment by concisely stating the objectives and deadlines to be met and monitoring progress so that problems can be identified and addressed in a timely manner.
- Promote and enforce the timely release of all drawings to the shop to minimize expensive rush projects, requiring deadline monitoring and strong communication.
- Develop and direct designers and detailers such that standards are utilized and work prioritized, minimizing design time and maximizing the shop fabrication window. Promote and enforce the creation of drawings with adequate detail to clearly convey all requirements to the shop.
- Create standard templates with custom tables for standard products to improve office to floor lead time.
- Review/modify current drawing templates to maximize clarity and consistency of drawings, BOMS and part nomenclature between all designers.
- Interface with design and production teams to incorporate shop fabrication practices into overall design to facilitate efficiencies on the shop floor.
- Review, approve or modify product designs; Check technical accuracy of work.
- Work closely with the VP of Engineering/Design to analyze team capabilities and equipment requirements. Develop goals and create and implement a development plan for team members focusing on the skills and abilities required for upcoming projects.
- Conduct monthly in-process project reviews highlighting job/projects exceeding expectations or projects needing additional attention.
- Coordinate activities of the department with other departments to ensure timely delivery of the finished product.
- Ensure process are in place and are enforced meeting customer confidentiality requirements including ITAR.
- Interpret and ensure self and subordinates follow CAID's Safety Plan in addition to other CAID Policies.
- Provide leadership and manage the department; make decisions; solve problems; develop department procedures; conduct meetings and represent the department at internal and external meetings.
- Work in collaboration with Human Resources to engage in employee hiring, team management, employee relations and terminations for the Design team.
- 5 years progressive experience in custom fabrication/manufacturing
- Minimum 7 years modeling and detailing with Solid Works
- 5 years' experience of Documentation Control and Drawing Change Management
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Design (preferred but not required) or equivalent work experience
- Strong experience in people leadership/management roles required
- Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of at least 2 of the following: AISC, ASME Sec. 8, API 650/620, ASME B31.3/B31.1, TEMA
- Product Data Management (PDM) experience preferred
- Must understand weld joints and be able to check drawings for mathematical correctness
- Demonstrated proficiency of Microsoft products including Excel (preparing spreadsheets, pivot tables, formulas)