With annual revenues of $450M, 700 employees, and operations in the United States, Canada, and Australia, the Vice President of Sales is responsible for driving organic growth through the direct and inside sales teams in PSGs chosen markets. This position is a key member of the executive team and will be accountable for the implementation of sales programs for the organization’s North American and designated internationally offered products and services. These products and services include: steel/polyester strapping and equipment, protective packaging products and value added services to a variety of industries including: metals, general industry, block, brick and wood products.
As the Sales Leader of the business, he/she drives the core business model components of a successful packaging business: 1) Pipeline Execution, 2) Customer Relation Management, 3) Pricing Discipline, 4) Strategic Alignment, and 5) Talent Management.
The leader will plan, direct and coordinate the efforts of all Samuel North American sales groups toward the accomplishments of company strategies, objectives and plans. This includes responsibility for both direct and distributor sales channels. The Vice President of Sales will maintain and continuously improve the organization’s competitive position and its value proposition to select customers. She/he will ensure a sustained and multi-year maximum growth of sales at minimum cost that meets or exceeds company expectations.
The successful candidate will have strong operational and P&L experience. In addition, he/she will have deep knowledge about driving equipment and consumable packaging growth, implementing a sales process for delivering insights and value, and fostering a customer centric growth culture. He/she will have a track record of successfully managing a team that advises executives on business issues to create differentiation. As a Sales Leader, he/she must bring clarity when ambiguity exists and is expected to demonstrate the behaviors, collaboration, and inclusiveness expected of leaders in a complex, changing business environment.
• Overall responsibility for driving volume on core and adjacent products and establishing accurate forecasts
• Drive volume on specific volume opportunities
• Develop pipeline process for high growth target customers
• Emphasizes sales time allocation for prospecting
Customer Relationship Management
• Maintain and foster key accounts across all industry segments
• Key account retention plans
• Manages day to day sales representative activities
• Helps reduce A/R time
• Works with procurement team to insure proper inventory turns
Pricing and Operational Disciplines
• Holds sales team accountable for the utilization of CRM
• Executes price increases
• Reduces the need for consignment
• Works with Commercial Development team to maintain pricing programs
Coordination with Commercial Development Team
• Collaborates with Commercial Development team to drive growth projects, insight development and major RFQ’s
• Maintains the Weekly Wire for the VOC
• Gathers pipeline intel as well as discuss progress against previously targeted customers
• Exchange of pricing intel with CD team
• Looks for opportunities for new products
• Feeds the acquisition funnel
• Establish/manage a team capable to develop strong, executive-level customer relationships and position themselves as trusted advisors to their business
• Define the talent requirements to deliver on the segment strategy and plan - both business and customer implementation
• Sponsor performance review and performance management processes
The person filling the Sales Leader role will be considered successful by meeting the following criteria:
• Builds customer relationships through strategic conversations to understand organizational business objectives and goals.
• Proven ability to translate customer need(s) into solution requirements through creating powerful value propositions and negotiation skills.
• Understands and influences a wide range of customer stakeholders while acting as industry expert to the customer.
• Partners with key customer decision maker(s) to structure business strategy
• Maintains a deep knowledge of customer’s business trends, current macro and micro economic climate, and potential new business opportunities
• Continuously prospects to develop net new clients, which include expanding existing relationships and products of assigned accounts.
• Active within industry associations in the market to increase Samuel brand awareness, through attending tradeshows, reviewing whitepapers and keep current within market trends.
• Develops a strategic account plan for each named account leveraging customer knowledge. Maintains a consistent ‘pipeline’ that enables meeting and exceeding targets.
• Have the ability to influence and negotiate through proven sales skills and needs identification by aligning unique insights to key customer priorities
• 15+ years of experience as a top sales or sales and marketing officer for a company with sales in excess of $100M offering industrial products in business-to-business transactions
• Must have experience with both direct sales and managed distribution channels
• MBA is preferred