- Department: Finance
- Division: Samuel Packaging Systems Group
- Type: Full-time Salaried
- Location: Cartersville, GA, USA
Samuel, Son & Co. is growing! If you’re looking for a rewarding career opportunity with a family run, industry leading organization, bring your experience and motivated attitude to Samuel, Son & Co.
Due to our continued success, we are seeking a Cost Accountant to join the Samuel Packaging Systems Group in Cartersville, GA. If you think you have what it takes to become part of the team, contact us today.
Here is some of what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Paid vacation and an annual bonus
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(K) plan with company match
- Opportunity for career stability
The cost accountant position is accountable for the ongoing analysis of process constraints, target costing projects, margin analysis, and tracing costs back to underlying activities. The cost accountant must construct and monitor those cost-effective data accumulation systems needed to provide an appropriate level of costing information to management, and must also ensure adherence to all cost accounting policies and procedures.
- Create and review the controls needed for data accumulation and reporting systems.
- Responsible for hands-on cost accounting, for multiple projects.
- Responsible for data interpretation for the purpose of calculating timely, accurate and meaningful standard costs (i.e., material, labor, variable and fixed costing). This includes ensuring representative indirect cost allocation methods are adhered to.
- The ability to review processes and classify labor, material and overhead costs to compute costs of product in a most representative manner.
- Provide product line profitability analysis.
- Perform monthly closing entries and general ledger account reconciliations, proactively making adjusting journal entries as required.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial reporting and commentary, to management.
- Effectively communicate with management regarding any and all issues that arise, out of the norm.
- Work closely with the manufacturing team. Must have the ability to maintain a good rapport with the team.
- Participate in the financial audit requirements. Help enforce controls and policies.
- Monitor, update and maintain all aspects of the inventory valuation system and ERP system.
- Must be capable to design complex ad hoc reports to support requests by both plant and senior management.
- Report on periodic variances and their causes and provide corrective actions, focusing in particular on spending variances.
- Analyze capital budgeting requests.
- Coordinate physical inventory counts and cycle counts.
- Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues.
- Analyze data accumulation systems for a cost accounting system.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned
- Acquire a comprehensive understanding of all plant processes, from purchase to invoicing.
- Minimum 3 years accounting and/or auditing non-public accounting experience in a manufacturing environment using a strong emphasis on cost accounting with added experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Also, a BA/BS degree or in final year of receiving BA/BS degree, as well as excellent analysis skills, and the ability to collaborate with a multi-department team. Also helpful to have experience manipulating large databases.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proactive in all functions; organized and attentive to detail.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Excel, Access, Crystal Reports. Syspro experience preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer