Missouri Metals a division of Samuel, is a manufacturer of complex, close tolerance, sheet metal components and assemblies for companies in the aerospace, defense, and power generation industries. End users include the world’s largest OEM’s as well as leading Tier I, II, and III suppliers located throughout the United States, Canada, and several European markets. Missouri Metals provides total customer satisfaction through its commitment to achieving objectives most important to its customers, and believes success is accomplished through product knowledge, credibility, teamwork, and professionalism; thereby building trust and a solid relationship with each customer.
As the senior leader of Missouri Metals, the Director of Operations is expected to operate on both strategic and tactical levels in order to develop and oversee manufacturing operations that support Missouri Metals’ growth, profitability, and performance objectives within an environment that is safe and a culture that is respectful. Direct reports include managers for each of the following departments: Quality, Engineering, Customer Service, Human Resources, Quoting, Supply Chain, and the production floor General Manager.
• Establish and manage best-in-class production processes to effectively plan, produce, and deliver component parts on-time and within budget to a growing number of aerospace and defense customers.
• Develop and manage an operational structure that supports the strategic growth plans for Missouri Metals and maintains or improves its competitive position.
• Oversee and manage operational policies, processes, and controls that support continuous improvement, operational excellence, and a culture of health and safety.
• Identify, recommend and implement changes to improve productivity, reduce manufacturing and scrap costs, optimize labor, and mitigate the need for rework.
• Direct the establishment, implementation and maintenance of production standards.
• Direct and monitor department managers to accomplish goals of the manufacturing plan, consistent with established manufacturing and safety procedures.
• Implement lean manufacturing initiatives and process control practices, within a zero-defect production culture, to ensure delivery of high quality products.
• Approve product pricing and negotiate terms and conditions for Long-Term Agreements with customers in the aerospace and defense industry.
• Support Sales and participate in SOP
• Participate in the annual forecasting and strategic planning process; including preparation of the annual capital expenditures plan.
• Identify and implement meaningful operational performance metrics and tracking methodologies.
• Manage, hire, mentor and support direct reports to ensure their departments successfully support the strategic and competitive objectives of Missouri Metals.
• College degree required. BS/BS in Engineering or Business preferred. Advanced degree(s) a plus.
• 10+ years of experience in manufacturing management, and a minimum of 5 years senior-level operations management of a unionized workforce within the aerospace and defense industry
• A visionary executive with a proven record of creating value through leadership and implementation of proactive change.
• Proven hands-on performer – willing and capable of building teams and a business in an entrepreneurial setting; not afraid to “roll up his/her sleeves to get the job done.”
• Experience in a customer service based manufacturing company characterized by engineered to order, continuous production.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, build, and retain a top-caliber team.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills including:
• Ability to articulate the company’s ongoing strategic vision into sound operating plans and processes,
• Ability to focus and motivate employees
• Ability to lead and foster productive interaction with and among team members
• Strong contract negotiation experience